…and it was all yellow

Lana took these photos of the living room today - same room, same paint, but she says the one on the right is more like it looks in real life.

Lana used the word “kindergarten” in her description of what it looks like, so I’m scared to go there now!

I’m sure it’ll look ok with the floor cleaned and some furniture in there.

image image

Terrace Tiled!

We actually ran out of tiles and the shop only had the same range in a different shade, so we had to do a border but I think it turned out well!





Paint… at last!

We’ve finally got some paint on the walls and ceiling. Not quite finished but it’s starting to look the part.

All the ceilings are flat white but for the walls and coffers we used Caparol Samtex 20, which is like a vinyl silk finish. It may look like we made a mistake by not using a flat finish for the coffers, but this is a (cough) design feature as these are bedrooms so although the finish on the soffit looks a bit too shiny we haven’t got the curtains up yet (which will cut the reflection down a bit), we won’t be using these rooms much when it IS light, it’ll be good for washing dead mosquitoes off (very important!), and it’ll help to lighten the room up in the morning when we really will appreciate that little bit of help in waking up!

We’ll only be using the silk finish for the walls everywhere else!

This is Georgi’s room. The colour on the walls is COELIN 55 and the slightly darker shade on the ceiling border is COELIN 60. It’s a kind of green-blue colour.

 image image

This is the other bedroom. The colours here are APRICO 175 for the walls and APRICO 180 for the ceiling border.


The Apricot colour will also be used in the kitchen, while in the living room and entrance lobby/corridor we are using a yellow colour called CURRY 115 & 120.

Arch Begone!

I miss it, now its gone :( The archway into the kitchen has been removed. It wasn’t a very smooth arch but I think that’s what I liked about it the most.

Anyway - it is no more…


In other news…

We’ve upgraded our builder to a newer, faster model so we now have some progress being made on the terrace. Unfortunately our old builder dragged his heels so much that one of the components of the waterproofing membrane we were going to install there (not critical - just a belt & braces approach) went hard so we’re just going to screed it and tile it. However we are also installing steel base plates and anchors which will be used to fix the roof structure to - if and when that happens.


It’ll make a world of difference just to be able to sit out there in a chair.

The kitchen wall has been tidied up too. It’s no less confusing what all those cables are for and there’s certainly a bit of work to do to make it so we can fasten the back boxes in place, but it looks better than it did.

image image

And the floor is creeping over towards the front door…


There’s just the kitchen floor to lay now, then all the skirting.

The skirting has arrived!

The stone skirting we ordered has arrived and is starting to be installed.

The radius on the top isn’t as perfect as I’d hoped, but we’ll live with it. That’s something we might be able to correct one day but the top edge needs a good polish anyway so that might iron out a bit of the flat spots. I know it’s possible to produce a nicely rounded edge - I bought some marble from Turkey for the Marriott Courtyard Hotel in Tbilisi which had beautifully rounded and polished edges. If anyone ever visits that hotel then the bar and the hot and cold buffet counters a bit further along from the bar were all drawn up and procured by yours truly. The cold buffet counter in particular (a sort of London Underground logo shape) was well worth the sweating and loss of sleep in the days leading up to it arriving and being fitted. We had Indian stonemasons on that job - they were the best of the best!

Here’s what it will look like after a bit of spit and polish - it goes quite well with the floor:

Stone Skirting

The skirting has just been loose-laid for the most part so far, but this is what the room will look like:



Mitring was never my forté so this is a lot better than I would have managed - even in wood. Once it’s permanently fixed, filled, and polished it should look ok. We could even round those external corners off a bit.


There’s a bit of jiggery pokery going on where the door opens but that will look ok after a final polish.

Adjustment needed to allow for the door to open

The living room flooring is nearly finished now.

Living room flooring nearly finished

This shows the plastic spaces and wedges which are used to get the floor perfectly spaced and level with each other. It’s a slow job and a little bit expensive but it needs to be done right because Georgi’s electric wheelchair, especially, is very heavy so the floor needs to be rock solid with no voids, and no flexure as there are underfloor heating pipes laid below it.

Plastic Spacers and Wedges

We’re now thinking of using the same material to form the ramp up to the bathroom floor level. I still need to think about this a little because I would have preferred the door frame to be where the wall is rather than set back into the bathroom (and looking plain ugly from the inside) but there’s no reason why we can’t have a large gap between the bottom of the door and the ramp. It might even be possible to adjust a drop seal enough to cover that gap.

Stone ramp to bathroom floor level