Terrace tiled!

image

image

Terrace Tiled!

We actually ran out of tiles and the shop only had the same range in a different shade, so we had to do a border but I think it turned out well!

image

image

image

image

Arch Begone!

I miss it, now its gone :( The archway into the kitchen has been removed. It wasn’t a very smooth arch but I think that’s what I liked about it the most.

Anyway - it is no more…

image 

In other news…

We’ve upgraded our builder to a newer, faster model so we now have some progress being made on the terrace. Unfortunately our old builder dragged his heels so much that one of the components of the waterproofing membrane we were going to install there (not critical - just a belt & braces approach) went hard so we’re just going to screed it and tile it. However we are also installing steel base plates and anchors which will be used to fix the roof structure to - if and when that happens.

image

It’ll make a world of difference just to be able to sit out there in a chair.

The kitchen wall has been tidied up too. It’s no less confusing what all those cables are for and there’s certainly a bit of work to do to make it so we can fasten the back boxes in place, but it looks better than it did.

image image

And the floor is creeping over towards the front door…

image

There’s just the kitchen floor to lay now, then all the skirting.

We have a new house (for the boiler)

It looks a little unsightly with the factory wrapping still on but it’ll look ok once we’ve painted it up to blend in with the wall, but this is the new enclosure for the gas boiler which is going on the living room balcony.

It’s very high - it remains to be see where the condenser unit for the living room split air conditioner is going to go as the internal part is directly behind this enclosure, but we’ll find out soon as the A/C is due to be moved from our current home to the new one today. So long as they make a neat hole for the cable and pipe (one which keeps the spiders out!) I don’t care.

Boiler enclosure

We’ve put a down payment on the boiler to reserve it just so we could build the enclosure to the right size - we needed to do this now because the rain was getting in where the under floor heating hoses entered the building.

You can see here the temporary “wall” we built to try and stop the water getting in.

Inside the boiler enclosure

I have no idea how it all works - I should have demanded an operation and maintenance manual for the heating system. I think we’ll need to label where all these hoses go in case we need to adjust the heat in any of the rooms… as I hope we can.

General progress update

The new apartment is still plodding along but there’s a dispute between the developer and the residents about a mansard he wants to build on the top of the building. They don’t trust him and say he’s going to try and build another floor (I was up there last week and I don’t think that’s even feasible) and they’re trying to block his planning application so he’s retaliated by threatening not to install the lift. It’s all talk - Georgians are very good at talking and not so good at doing. I’m sure I won’t offend any Georgians by saying that because they are basically good people who can be honest with themselves - they have their national traits and flaws just like all other nationalities have theirs… throughout history us Brits have demonstrated much more serious flaws than simply not being able to agree with each other!

Terrace RoofA byproduct of this dispute is that the application for our new terrace roof is all bound up in the same planning application, so all I can do is stand firmly on the sidelines shaking my head until they manage to sort it out between themselves. I could care less, if I tried. Anyway, it’s something I won’t need to spend money on for another month or two so I can juggle the pennies a bit and bring some of the other works forward. I’ve received all the electrical stuff from the UK now, so that can go in when a couple of our own guys find themselves at a loose end, and they’ve started putting the frames up for the coffered ceilings. I was there yesterday to make the final decision on the sizes and where we’re going to put the lights, so I’m expecting to have all the ceilings up within the next fortnight.

Kitchen DesignWe went to see just such a kitchen manufacturer on Thursday, and I found it very useful to be able to pull up this website on their computer and show them everything - even the kitchen equipment we’ve selected, and links to all the datasheets. I was a bit dubious when we pulled up outside a little cafe on a street in the back of beyond - a place in Tbilisi they call “Africa”. We went in and asked where the furniture place was and we were directed to a little door - it led to a showroom full of really top notch stuff which, itself led to a huge modernised and very professional-looking warehouse where they made all of this stuff. The Sales Manager who greeted us there really knew his stuff and it was refreshing talking to him. He took us all over the factory and up into the offices to see samples of the worktops and other materials. They’d obviously done all the offices out themselves (they doors and general furniture too) so the offices themselves were a bit of an eye-opener for me.

I was very impressed with what I saw and listened to.